Careers: Police/Need help deciding on career in law enforcement

Hi, I have a strong desire to help victims of sexual abuse, I cannot however be a detective in SVU due to the fact that I would need to be available weekends and nights. I was hoping that you can inform me of other ways I can help victims as a career.

You are correct.  All police officers and detectives have to work shifts which would include weekends and night work.  You may not be aware of this but no one goes straight into detective work.  It takes years of street work in order to gain the necessary experience to do investigations.  This may also shock you but in real life there are no "SVU" units as depicted on television.

Either way it sounds like your career path might be directed towards counseling or work at crisis centers.  Of course that would require a college degree in certain disciplines.  If you are not yet in college then be sure to talk to your high school counselor or your college advisor about pursuing the correct degree.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.