Careers: Police/background

Question
I am applying for highway patrol in Missouri. I am currently 26 years old. I was charged with a 'minor in possession of alcohol by consumption' when I was 19. I also have a 'driving on a suspended license' on my record due to my lawyer missing a court date for the above mentioned 'mip'. On top of those i also have a couple speeding tickets that were a year or more ago. Are these things on my record automatically going to disqualify me from the selection process or do i still have a chance?

Thanks so much,
Jake S.

Answer
Hi Jacob,

I do not think you will be a automatic disqualify. But you are going to have to explain these issues to the Interviewer. I would sit down and write up a really detailed explanation of what you did, and how you have learned from these mistakes and matured in the short time it is from the tickets until your application to the Highway Patrol.

Remember they are going to be trusting you with a marked Highway Patrol vehicle and you will be allowed to legally go above the speed limit when needed. Your background of speeding tickets shows a disregard for the speed laws. They will ask you how you will be able to enforce speeding laws when you yourself have violated them multiple times. You may want to think up a good answer to that question.

Good Luck!! Hope you are able to achieve your goal!!!

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner