Careers: Police/Background Check

Question
I have applied for a county police position. They are currently running a background check on me. I have nothing on my record. No arrests, felonies, drugs, tickets etc... but i had one situation were the police were called out to our house for being loud. It was a domestic call because my husband and i were arguing. Nothing happened, no court or ticket,or arrest. My concern is that i honestly forgot to mention it at all. There was no specific question for it, so it didn't register to me. It wasn't until days later that i remembered it. Will this incident show up on a background check? and will i look like i lied ? Should i call and tell them before they see it, and is one police visit a dis qualifier for employment? Thank you so much for your time

Answer
Hi Ally,

If you answer just that way they will not have a problem with it. One police call is not a crime, you were not arrested, and it will not be any problems. Is the department you applied for the department that was the one that responded? If so they more than likely will check that.

The other option is to call just like you said and tell the BI before they find it and explain why you did not put it down (you thought of it later, since there was no direct question that brought it to mind)and that you wanted to let them know since you did remember it and was not sure if they would want to know about that. This is the course of action I would follow if it was me. It shows your trying to be honest, even when it may not be required.

Hope this helps.Good Luck!!  

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner