Careers: Police/Background Check.

Question
I recently applied to become a police officer in the same the same city as one of my immediate family matters.I got as far as the background check and was contacted by the investigator and a higher officer via telephone. They explained that because of my relative working there, they wanted to keep everything professional and that something had been found in my investigation that it would be in my best interest for me to withdraw. Of course they could not explain and would def not explain to my family member when he asked. In retrospect, I feel there were some inconsistencies in my application that I should have looked into more. I have never been arrested and I have only smoked weed in my teens. They did ask to provide social media and I signed into my Facebook for them. However, I did not remember to think of YouTube accounts or twitter. Is that something they can find anyway? They told me that they were overstepping their boundaries by making the call to me. What do you feel the significance to the phone call  was and is there any way I could find out what they may have found or what could help me out when applying to another department in the future?  They made me feel as if I were pending some investigation had I not withdrew. Again I know my app was not consistent and it may have seem like I lied even on a few financial issues because I hadn't viewed my past credit prior to going before them. Any advice and answers to my questions please? Thanks

Answer
Good afternoon Paul,

agencies really look into inconsistencies on an application to see why the applicant wrote what they did. If you are inconsistent on some financial issues that the big one and that alone could of had you removed from the process. Financial issues and law enforcement are very difficult because of all the money and property that you are handling the temptation for someone in a financial stress situation would be very difficult. You absolutely have to be consistent all through the application and make sure that the information is accurate and up-to-date. I suggest you have the Social Security Bureau run your report of all your employment in the past which they can provide to you so you know all the jobs you had and will show up on the police department check of the same thing.

As for social accounts a lot of applicants do not realize the police departments are asking for this information now and what they will look at is your photos and postings to see if you have any antigovernment sentiments or any photos of you drinking too much or and I know some silly doing any kind of narcotics. If you have a lot of photos of you partying, and drinking, that gives the investigator is a idea of what you find important enough to post on your social media. I would not post any photographs of yourself partying and drinking or displaying weapons in an unsafe manner. Also make sure that your friends are not posting highly vulgar or profane comments on your Facebook page or Twitter. As for YouTube the same thing goes you need to make sure that your history of videos viewed and any videos that you may have put up are not of the any of the above categories. If they find that most of videos you viewed have been those of scantily dressed women and hardly anything else and that leads them to believe that you have a fixation on the female gender and its above and beyond what is normal (by their standards).

What I would suggest you do before you apply anywhere else is get a copy of your application and gather all the above information I mentioned and go through all your social media and social accounts and clean them up if there's anything on there that you feel they may look at in a negative way. Once you have all of your employment history and you got all of your other information down and you are sure that is 100% complete, accurate, and there are no inconsistencies, then you should be ready to apply to the next agency and not have the same issues that you did with this one.

Let me know how it goes on your next interview and good luck on your pursuit of a new career. Be well and stay safe.

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner