Careers: Police/Employability

Question
I'm a sixty one year old academy applicant, I'm in good shape according to my doctor and could with conditioning work as an officer of the law. I'm just wondering what my chances are of being hired. Can a graduate that old get a job in this market?

Answer
Hi Don,

To be realistic with you the problem with being your age and getting hired is the department realizes realistically you only have a few years left before you will have to retire. If you do apply to places that's going to be the main issue. And also your physical ability will be looked over with a fine tooth comb.

Departments are looking for officers at the entry level that can put 20 or 25 years in. It is said it takes Officers about 5-7 years on the job to have gained all the extra training that they can receive and have learned the job also.

So in answer to your question, I have never seen anyone go through and get hired at anything past 50. I did have a 72 year old go through but he already had a job and they were asking him yo get his certification back, so he had been out to long and had to go through the academy again. He had been a cop for 30 years already. But that was a special circumstance.

Hope this answers your question. Its not impossible but highly unlikely you will be hired.

Be well and stay safe!

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner