Careers: Police/Quiting during field training

Question
An officer after having gone through the academy and has done so much work to prepare for a career in law enforcement gets hired by a department then begins field training with a FTO and decides to quit. This seems to happen a lot. Can you explain what you think is the most common reasons one would quit at this point?  

It seems that odd that it happens so much.

Answer
Hi Joe,

It actually does not happen all the much. But when it does it more than likely because the person quitting had no idea what police work was really like. They grew up on the TV Cops. Police work is comletly different than what they see on TV growing up. Its much more involved and routine a lot of it. If they had only gone for a couple of ride alongs that might have saved them all the time and money of gowing through the academy.

I think most of them quit because they had no idea what real police work was like. Or they may have encountered a very hostile situation and realize or are told they are not prepared for those violent or life and death situations. Thtas the other reason I have seen.

Hope this helps.  

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner