Careers: Police/My son wants to become an officer

HI, my son wants to become a police officer, he graduates now in May, 2013 from High School. We are looking into colleges so he can work on an associates degree while he waits to get into the academy. What degrees should he be looking into aside from Criminal Justice?

Good Morning,

He should look at a degree that would help him OUTSIDE of law enforcement. He should pick something he likes and could be a back up to doing something other than law enforcement.

Reason being that most police officers look for secondary income (I have 3 jobs) and a degree outside of the law enforcement related realm will help him in that. Many choose Management Degrees, or new degrees related to Homeland Security (that could lead to a federal job). Some have degrees in Education and that helps them in Training and eventually he could have his own training company and do what I do (travel and teach law enforcement all over the world for the State Department). Aviation Science will help him if he ever thinks of maybe flying a helicopter for law enforcement. Biology/Anatomy will help is he ever becomes a detective.

Many subjects that one would not normally think to apply to law enforcement can actually be applied there. Also he should think of what he might want to do down the road after he does his 25 and gets out, he will still be young enough to start a second career and having that degree in an area he likes will help a lot.

So have him think of what he might like to do as a secondary to law enforcement and then seek a degree in that. Mine is in Criminal Justice Technology, and I use it to do forensic computer examinations for civil litigation outside of law enforcement and make some good extra money at that.

Hope these thoughts and ideas help.

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.