Careers: Police/SVU Detective

Hello! My name is Jessica and I am a high school senior. I am very interested in becoming an SVU detective. I'm just not sure how I would start my career path in becoming an SVU. What information and advice would you have on starting this career?

Hi Jessica,

You really need to focus on communications skills like writing ability and reading. Also anything on biology/ Anatomy/ Physiology. Then you should go to college and get a degree in Crime Scene or criminal just. A minor in Anatomy and physiology would not hurt.

Volunteer at a community shelter for younger kids and teens. Get to be able to talk to them and learn how to ask them questions that get you the answers you are looking for. Also how to help them .

All of that will help you to work in the direction of being a detective. See you have to become a police officer first before you can get into SVU or Major Crimes as its called many places. You will have to serve in patrol for a number of years before you can apply for a position in the detectives unit. Most police departments require that you serve 3 to 5 years as a patrol officer before you can apply for position in the special units.

You will have to go through an interview and they will look through your qualifications to work in the detectives unit. That's where your schooling will come in very handy.

I hope this helps you get focused on the direction you wish to go and I commend you as a young person for already looking forward to your career and setting your sights on goal. Keep on working towards it and you will achieve it.

Be well and stay safe.

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.