Careers: Police/Car Accidents

Hi Chris,

I recently applied for the sheriffs department at a county near my home. I'm actually pretty excited about joining the force however, I've had two at fault accidents about a year and a half ago. I don't currently have or ever had any citations for reckless driving except a speeding ticket which I cleared by attending traffic school. If there a chance that having been involved in two car accidents may disqualify me from joining the department? Thank you.

I am not Chris (not sure who that is).  When asking a question like this you have to understand that there are thousands of police departments in this country and each has its own hiring process.  What might be true on department #A might not be true on department #B and so on.

We are in an economy where thousands of applicants are trying to get onto various departments because of the stability of the job.

The best that I can do for you is to tell you that your traffic record won't help you but then it might not hurt you.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.