Careers: Police/Career after the Army

Question
I am debating whether or not to get out of the army right now. I am in the infantry so law enforcement/swat is the best transition. I saw tha you said your organization hires swat "off the street." How does the hiring process work?

Answer
Honestly, you would be better off staying in, depending on how much time you have invested.  While it might suck, the long term benefits (retirement and medical) will outweigh that in time.   

Yes, we hire SRT 'off the street', but at the moment, we are (like every other DoD agency) getting ready to undergo pay cuts (furlough) and curtailing of overtime (which is how SRT gets paid, basically).   

My suggestion is go to school if you can, or look into lat moving and then go to school. A degree in ANYthing will pay off in the future.   

At the moment, I wouldn't really advise a fed civilian career, esp. to someone in the military.  It's just not worth what you give up.   

Our hiring process goes through a computer, basically you submit a resume (through USA Jobs), which is then run through a computer program for qualifiications (it looks for keywords out of the job description...best I can tell you, that's what I'm told it does, anyway).  If you make the cut, then your resume is forwarded to the Law enforcement branch for further action, and you get a notice to appear for testing. (Which is being debated at the moment, as it used to be a PT test, and might very well be again, but at the moment is up in the air).  At the moment it's an interview process.  Once you complete that then the command makes a decision.  

Very convoluted and often confusing, but this IS the DoD..and the Dept of Army.  

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill