Careers: Police/forensic/crime scene investigator

Question
I am currently attending classes at Keiser university for forensic science and crime scene investigation. I will finish my associates in July and have a 4.0 average GPA. I have always been very interested and fascinated with science and the common sense that goes with it, I'm also very OCD so I tend to not not overlook things ( every stone unturned) and I take pride in the procedures that have been taught, though it seems every protocol has a reason if if you don't think so at the time. When I have completed my associates I plan to finish with the bachelors. My ultimate goal is homicide detective or medical examiner, but I would like somewhere to start and I think forensic analyst and crime scene tech would give me the necessary tools and background that could help in other fields of interest. I really appreciate the time you are taking to review this message, I would love to talk to you in person, as to any questions you may have, however email is fine, I check it everyday. My only question is what other classes or things I have to accomplish to obtain my goal? I look forward to speaking with you regarding this matter. Thank you again- Jessica Turner

Answer
Well, Jessica, this is a question I get quite often, but I see something a bit more in detail in your query.  First off, I'd like to give you a heads up on what being a "homicide detective" is.  Think of a small orchestra, but instead of musicians, you have various people capable of doing specific things...just like the musicians...but now we are talking about people who have expertise in lifting fingerprints, doing serology, dna, entomology, and various other disciplines in the crime lab.  You, as the detective, are the conductor with specific interpretations of each particular crime scene, directing what it is you want relative to each case...and the skilled technicians doing their wonderful work, builds your case.  Many people who get into the forensic field, shorten their view and seem to shoot for a specialist type of work, whereas the detective has a general understanding of the various forensic functions and skillfully uses them in concert.  Hope this is not too confusing.
So, if you are interested in becoming a "detective", you will have to become a sworn officer, go through the various duties leading up to detective work.  All the while, you a letting virtually everyone in the department know that your goal is homicide.  This basic background prepares you for the myriad areas of expertise you need to develop good cases...they involve case law, filing well orchestrated affidavits for search warrants, evidence rules (and there are many) and developing reliable confidential informants.
You are proceeding in a way that I approve of...get your four-year degree (most cops have them in today's world) and immerse yourself in things that hone your skills.  I wish you well.

Careers: Police

Dick Rogers