Careers: Police/General Questions

My name is Drew, I am 21 years old and in the Army. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and have been looking into some career options after returning back to the states. I have a combat job and go outside the wire every day so I would like a career that is as exciting as the job I have now. I work with demolition. My primary job is route clearance. We patrol roads looking for IEDs and when we find them we blow them up. Pretty sweet deal. Lately it has been between cop or firefighter but I have been leaning more towards the Police force. My test scores for the military are relatively high and have a pretty decent background. I have never been arrested and I believe I only have one traffic citation since I age 16. I guess my question is what type of degree should I seek to make it easier to get on the force and possibly do something a little more high speed, like SWAT or maybe even something on a federal level like DEA. Bachelor's in Criminal Justice is what I keep hearing but is that the best degree to help advance and keep opportunities open? Any guidance as far as schooling, requirements for any special assignments, or promotions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Hello Drew,

Sorry for the delay, was working a short trip contracting for the State Department.

I would get a AS in Criminal Justice then get a BA in something else that you want and like. Management is a good choice, or anything in communications. Also a anatomy or biology degree are great also (really help when you trying for Detectives, Homicide or crimes against persons.)

Hope those ideas help. Thank you for your service. I was 3rd ID myself and run the largest military videos channel on Youtube called "3rdID8487". Just type that in you should like it.

Be safe and stay well and good luck on your journey into law enforcement. If you are interested in maybe being a cop in Florida, e-mail me at Thats my academy e-mail.  

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.