Careers: Police/law enforcement qualifications question

hi Chris i am trying to apply for the sheriffs dept. but the one thing is that ive had various speeding tickets when i was 19 and dumb but i had to put a stop to this, i am 22 now. i was deemed a negligent driver at the time and had my license suspended,fear this might disqualify me. since then i have taken corrective measures and hadn't received anymore until December of 2012, where i failed to fully stop during a turn on a side street and they cited me for reckless driving.... ouch. are my chances looking grim? also i a cataract form in my right eye due to some hoodlum shooting me in the eye with a paintball gun but plan on having surgery to have it corrected in the near future, thank you in advance.

Hi Marvin,

Departments are really looking at drivers license records closer now. More police officers are killed in automobile accidents than anything else (except last year). And the fact that officers drive more than anything else. So driving records are very important.

Most agencies want a few years between your last ticket and application. If you have a suspension they want 5 years. Thats most agencies.

The eyesight issue is a tough one. You vision must be correctable to 20/20.

Hope that gives you an idea. I would say for now your chances are very tough. But given another couple of years between your last ticket (don't get anymore! :))and application date, and your eye being fixed to correctable 20/20 and you should be OK then.  

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.