Careers: Police/Police & Drug policy

Hey i recently took the Baltimore Police exam and was denied entry. So far i don't know if it was because i failed the test or if for my previews drug usage.
I experimented cocaine 2 times over 2 years ago and I testify for it on the pre-test form. Is this enough for them to disqualify me for the position? Will this be something that stays on my record or background? For example if I apply for NYPD will they be able to see that i testified to drugs in Maryland?

Yep, any use of cocaine is an automatic DQ in Maryland.   Not sure about NY though, they might be more 'liberal' when it comes to that sort of thing.   And honesty is ALWAYS the best policy no matter what....but 2 years is not enough time for most agencies to even consider you.  You'll need to be off the 'hard' stuff for at least 5 or longer to be competitive.

If NYPD has a polygraph and you lie, and then fail....that will be that.   So my advice is not to lie.  

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill

General Maryland Law Enforcement, Maryland Law & Traffic Law, the Court System. How to start the process to become a Police Officer, different Police careers, the Interview process, General Police career questions

18 Years experience as a local and Federal Police officer. In addition to working "the road", I've worked as an Academy Instructor, Law Digest Compiler for Police Department, Community Policing coordinator, Department Gang officer, Bike Patrol Officer, and Advanced Accident Investigator. I've also served on the SWAT/SRT team, and currently work for the Department of Army Police (Federal Civilian) at Fort Detrick, Frederick Md, as a Sergeant. I'm Certified as a Police and Emergency Medical dispatcher through the National Academies of Emergency Dispatch.

Police Marksman Association Fraternal Order of Police

South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy
Prince Georges County Maryland Municipal Police Academy, Western Maryland Police Academy
Radar, Portable Breath Test, PR-24 Police Baton, ASP, Police Mountain Bike Certified. Maryland Police Training Commission Basic Instructor Certified. CALEA Certified Field Training Officer (FTO), Advanced Criminal Investigator School, Advanced Crash Investigator School, National Academies of Emergency Dispatch Certified Emergency Police Dispatch, Emergency Medical Dispatch, Emergency Telecommunications Operator.

Police Officer of the Year, Prince Georges County Municipal Police Chiefs Association (1995).
City of District Heights Police Officer of the Year, 1995.
Distinguished Service Cross for Valor, 1995 (National Association Chiefs of Police).