Careers: Police/Becoming a police officer

Question
Hello I have a DUI and a recent wreckless driving ticket, how hard will it be for me to get hired by a department with this kind of record, I have honorable military service and combat expierence.

Answer
Good Morning,

Driving records are one of the hardest things for people. You have to understand that the police department is going to put you into a police car and allow you to drive above the speed limit and violate traffic laws if needed. That means they have to be able to trust you to make good decisions with your patrol vehicle when your not needing to do that. You will have a very hard time getting hired for at least 5-7 years after the last citation or 10 years for the DUI, if they will hire you. You have to understand that the job market is very competitive out there right now and the police departments are being more selective in their hiring because they have more people to choose from and you have to be better than the next person applying. If they have no driving record or DUI arrest that places them ahead of you on the list of possible applicants. Some agencies have also now included DUI or a certain number of traffic citations as a disqualification.

Your military service and combat experience will help you and may balance out your negative driving record some, but that is up to the individual agency to decide.

Thank you for your service and good luck on your job hunting.  

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner