Careers: Police/worried

when i was in high school i worked at a dollar general. i was the picture perfect employee and was only there for 8 months and they wanted me to be a manager i was possibly a junior or senior in high school and had tired marijuana  a few times. i ended up having to take a drug test for that position and didn't think about my brief use of marijuana. the test came up positive and they had to let me go even though i was a good worker. understandably. i am now finishing my corrections degree and hoping to get into the policy academy this fall. will i be rejected if i put down in my work history that i was let go from that job for that reason. i have had two more jobs since then. that i did put down for my employment history and i left out dollar general. but now i am wondering if they will see it anyway and see that i didn't put it on there and disqualify for that.

what should i do!

Hi Nino,

Your failure to put an employment down, especially in an attempt to hide a negative employment history will more than likely result in your being disqualified from the application process. They get your Social Security records and compare it to your listing of jobs. When it does not match or they see you left something out they may or may not ask you about it and it will more than likely result in you being dropped from the process.

What you did was try to hide a negative issue in your past rather than try to explain it to the agency. This is something they look at as a honesty issue and it is. You should always list every employment, both negative and positive. That way they at least see you are being honest. They can work with the reasons for the loss of the job when you explain it to them.

I would put it down on any future applications and deal with the subject when it comes up. Your past drug use will have to be listed also and that will have to be dealt with during the application process also.

Be honest and complete and deal with the issues instead of trying to hide them. They will find out and you will be disqualified if you did not put these things down.

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.