Careers: Police/Background Check

Question
Hello,

I am soon to be a college graduate with certifications as a correctional officer and law enforcement. I also have 3 years experience as a correctional officer. I want to become a state trooper, however I have some concerns. I have been suspended for sleeping on post (perimeter fencing roving), after switching from day shift to midnight shift (it happened a couple of days after I was assigned to the shift and it was very challenging to stay awake). This is the only disciplinary action in 6 years of working. It is not a true indication of who I am. Will the agency know about this if they conduct a background investigation? Will I be automatically disqualified? My employers all have great things to say about me including my Sergeant. I really want to be a trooper and I am afraid that I will not be able because of one mistake; I have been disqualified before for admitting this. What should I say? Please give me some insight.

Answer
Brian,

There is no way for me to know what any particular agency would do with this information.  They all operate differently, have different background investigators, and have different standards.

I would think that the oral interview part would come before the background investigation so you would get your chance to explain about what happened.

There is no way that I am going to tell you what to say.  If I did you could blame the whole thing on me afterwards.  But yes, they will know about your suspension.

The  best that I can do for you is to tell you that your disciplinary record surely won't help you.  ON the other hand it might not hurt you.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey