Careers: Police/Qualification Concerns.

I am currently on active duty, have been serving for over 16 years. During the past two years I haven't been the soldier I once was. I had a admin reduction board and a article 15. I'm currently in the process of being chaptered out; I believe the character of discharge will most likely be General under Honorable. I will fight for honorable but won't know until I appear before the separation board. Prior to joining the military, I have had one robbery and served 15 days confinement, I have had a couple speeding tickets, and at one point my license was suspended. This was about 20 years ago. Most recently I was arrested for DV, I was not charged or prosecuted; however, the arrest is still there. I did have a CCW but it expired April. I also currently posses a Secret Security Clearance through the Military. My credit is not bad, but do to divorces, I had to voluntarily surrender one vehicle and have a few late payments on another.

With all this in mind; my question is: In your own personal opinion and experience, what are my chances of becoming a police officer/state trooper/deputy sheriff?

Thank you for your time,

Realistic 'no bs' answer?  Almost nonexistent I'm afraid.  Due to various and sundry reasons which you have listed, no agency is going to touch you at this point, the risk factors are just too great.   That is not to say 'Don't apply', (you just never know).   But I wouldn't bet the farm on it.  

Sorry for the bad news.

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill

General Maryland Law Enforcement, Maryland Law & Traffic Law, the Court System. How to start the process to become a Police Officer, different Police careers, the Interview process, General Police career questions

18 Years experience as a local and Federal Police officer. In addition to working "the road", I've worked as an Academy Instructor, Law Digest Compiler for Police Department, Community Policing coordinator, Department Gang officer, Bike Patrol Officer, and Advanced Accident Investigator. I've also served on the SWAT/SRT team, and currently work for the Department of Army Police (Federal Civilian) at Fort Detrick, Frederick Md, as a Sergeant. I'm Certified as a Police and Emergency Medical dispatcher through the National Academies of Emergency Dispatch.

Police Marksman Association Fraternal Order of Police

South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy
Prince Georges County Maryland Municipal Police Academy, Western Maryland Police Academy
Radar, Portable Breath Test, PR-24 Police Baton, ASP, Police Mountain Bike Certified. Maryland Police Training Commission Basic Instructor Certified. CALEA Certified Field Training Officer (FTO), Advanced Criminal Investigator School, Advanced Crash Investigator School, National Academies of Emergency Dispatch Certified Emergency Police Dispatch, Emergency Medical Dispatch, Emergency Telecommunications Operator.

Police Officer of the Year, Prince Georges County Municipal Police Chiefs Association (1995).
City of District Heights Police Officer of the Year, 1995.
Distinguished Service Cross for Valor, 1995 (National Association Chiefs of Police).