Careers: Police/Wanting to become a police officer

I have a deferred adjudicated felony for possession of a controlled substance that I got back in 2006. I was wondering if I could become an office with this kind of record or if I needed to get it removed with the help of a lawyer. Really interested on becoming a officer and don't want something that happened when I was in college being stupid and hanging with the wrong crowd to stop me from becoming one. Just wanting to know so I can get things going with this.

There is no way for me to predict your chance of becoming a police officer.  There are thousands of police departments and each has its own hiring policy and rules.

What may be true on one department could be not true on another and so on.  If it was the U.S Army, with one set of rules, then your question would be easy to answer.

Lets say this.  Your drug possession charge surely will not help you.  However its possible that it won't hurt you.  The only way to know for sure is to apply to whatever department that you are interested in.

About getting an attorney to remove your charge.  What have you been doing for seven years?

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.