Careers: Police/Employment possibility

Question
Mr. Toomey,

I am currently 28 years old have served 8 years in the navy, married with a son, and I am curious if I will be able to get a job in law enforcement given my past drug use. When I was approx 18/19 I went through kind of a rough patch where I hung out with people I thought were my friends and I smoked marijuana not daily but every once in a while and when I was 20 I was at a party and was kinda of peer pressured into trying cocaine. It really bothered me afterwards and I left after that and never tried it or even had the desire to do it again. Later that year I joined the navy, got married a couple years later, started a family and am currently working on finishing my BA in Criminal Justice which will be finished prior to applying to a PD. I do feel really awful that what I did when I was younger has affected my future like this. If only I had known I wanted to be a police officer back than. It has been about 8 years since the 1 cocaine use and approx 10 years since the smoking, do you think I have any chance of working in law enforcement.

Thanks for you time,
J

Answer
Jeff,

There is no way for me to give you a "yes" or "no" answer because every police department operates independently of each other and every department has its own hiring rules and standards.  You could be dealing with scores of different departments.

I will say this about MY department. Be sure that you understand that I am talking about MY department.  Sometimes they will excuse recreational use of soft drugs but they will not tolerate hard drugs.  

In no way does that apply to any other department.

The best that I can do for you is to tell you that your prior drug use will not help your chances.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey