Careers: Police/Stupid things from my past and current situations

I am now 50 years old and cant get trying to be a cop outta my head. I had written off the idea about 16 years ago when i got into some trouble, a drunken brawl that ended up with me getting a serious battery charge, a felony that was then reduced and dismissed. I stopped drinking after that and lived my life sober until 2007 when I decided I could drink again and just happened to get myself a DUI. I have been sober since but wonder if this and the some stuff from the eighties will keep me out. As well, I lost my business in 2007 and my credit is shot so due to it.

I will never tell anyone to forget it or not to apply for a job in law enforcement.  I can't do that because there are thousands of police departments and each has its own hiring standards.

On the other hand you have a lot working against you.  Your age, a felony arrest, a DUI, "some stuff from the 80's, and your poor cred it rating will all work against you.  All of these would be disqualifiers on MY department.

Again I will tell you that I am NOT telling you to forget it but you won't know for sure unless you apply.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.