Careers: Police/Law enforcement

QUESTION: I recently turned down a law enforcement position here on the northeast.I think i did the right thing although i enjoyed very much the paramiltary training that I went through it just didnt pay much and didnt fit my values at this moment with my other job i can transfer and its hard to give that up.How can i continue with the discipline and drills and stuff so that maybe i can revisit this occupation maybe in another state or something.In the meanwhile is there any civilian law enforcement kind of paramiltary taraining that would revisit my interest in this disciplined field?

ANSWER: Have you thought of being a reserve or auxiliary officer for a dept? That way you get to keep up on the training, be a police officer, and not be locked into a full time job that would effect your other job. I would look into these part time officer positions.  

QUESTION: Yes but theres an age limit for most of these other positions although smaller towns there isnt? Do all agencies have auxiliary officers? Reserve deputy sheriff is that the way in once youve reached a certain threshold in age? I notice big city pd have age requirements

ANSWER: Well you never mention your age. How old are you? That might help.

QUESTION: Oh sorry. 43

Hi again Nepo,

While to me 43 is not very old (51 myself) many agencies want to hire younger officers that will put 20-25 years in. It is against Federal Law to discriminate against age, unless the job requires physical requirements that can be justified. Law enforcement is one of those. While most agencies may be willing to give you a place to work, some will exclude you because of your age.

As for Aux and reserves, not all departments have them, usually the smaller ones do as its a way for them to get free help when needed, or part time fill in officers. Reserve Deputy is always a way in. They get to see you and get to know you and see your work ethic and how well you do on the job. Its like a really long working interview, and they get it for very little investment.

You can still get on, but smaller agencies are probably your best bet.

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.