Careers: Police/police officer requirements

I am 19 years old and currently live in B.C, Canada. I am currently studying in criminal justice studys where i plan to finish my degree where my main objective is to obtain a job with one of the police departments or the rcmp. My question that i have is about DRUG USE. Back in highschool i was a fairly clean kid but eventually i had ended up smoking a little marijuana only 3-4 times in my entire life which was in highschool. I also do have a fewfriends who currently still try drugs regularly. Other than this issue i live a very clean lifestyle and plan on participating in police volunteer work, so can you please tell me if i am still able to apply with the police

Hi Jasdeep,

I do not know a lot about Canadian requirements but I would think they are close to ours in the States. As long as it was limited to what you say, you should be OK. But you will have to disassociate yourself from friends that do drugs. They are committing a felony in your presence each time they do that and you as a police officer (when you are one) would have to take action about it. Tell your friends that you are sorry but because of the drug use you can't hang out with them anymore, maybe they will change, maybe not. Good luck on your future and hope the best for you.

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.