Careers: Police/Recruitment

Hello Chris,
First I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I read a an answer you provided regarding military service, but I wanted to get more specific information.
I received an entry level separation from the USMC in 2001. The specifics where that I lied and claimed I needed to see a psychologist. I received an Uncharacterized discharge (less than 180 days) for entry level performance and conduct. (RE-3p; JGA-1) I would like to become a police officer, but I am afraid this discharge will haunt me.I have not been diagnosed or treated for any type of mental illness at any point in my life. I have since graduated with a Masters Degree in Business Administration. I have not used any type of illegal drug since age 16; I do however have less than perfect credit as a result of my divorce. I have not been late on any credit item in 3 years. I also have been with he same employer for 12 years and received several promotions, I am currently a manager. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Good morning Jeremy,

As long as you do not have a dishonorable discharge you should be okay. Departments are looking for the dishonorable discharges as a disqualification. An uncharacterized discharge is nothing and is not a problem.

As for your credit that should not be a problem either as long as your current and your history shows that you have been paying on a regular basis.

You should be okay in the application a background investigation process.

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.