Careers: Police/Will this seriously hinder me?

Hello Mr. Grabill,

I'm a 22-year-old honors psychology student in Canada, and I'm thinking of becoming a police officer after I graduate.  I have an A average, never had any contact with the police (let alone been arrested), never even thought of touching drugs, no shady friends, etc.  The only thing I ever did was I worked under the table last year (about $4,000 total) while benefiting from my province's student loan/bursary program, in order to be able to help my mom put food on the table and pay the bills (she is a sole breadwinner on a small salary).  At the time, I didn't realize that what I was doing was actually a criminal offense, and I now plan to file a voluntary tax declaration to correct this ASAP.

Can you please tell me if this would hurt me in the application process if and when I apply in a year or two?  As I already said, I do not recall ever having committed any other offense which would affect my application.

Thank you for reading,

In the states, nobody would likely even notice.  Down here its the national past time, and if you get caught, you just pay the penalty and no one thinks anything of it.   Is there any way this could ever be traced or found out?  Just curious.  If its a conscience thing then by all means pay up and move on.

Alas, I can't speak for Canada.  I would think since you've admitted the mistake and paid the penalty, it wouldn't be that big of a concern, but I could very well be wrong, not knowing your countries system.  

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill

General Maryland Law Enforcement, Maryland Law & Traffic Law, the Court System. How to start the process to become a Police Officer, different Police careers, the Interview process, General Police career questions

18 Years experience as a local and Federal Police officer. In addition to working "the road", I've worked as an Academy Instructor, Law Digest Compiler for Police Department, Community Policing coordinator, Department Gang officer, Bike Patrol Officer, and Advanced Accident Investigator. I've also served on the SWAT/SRT team, and currently work for the Department of Army Police (Federal Civilian) at Fort Detrick, Frederick Md, as a Sergeant. I'm Certified as a Police and Emergency Medical dispatcher through the National Academies of Emergency Dispatch.

Police Marksman Association Fraternal Order of Police

South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy
Prince Georges County Maryland Municipal Police Academy, Western Maryland Police Academy
Radar, Portable Breath Test, PR-24 Police Baton, ASP, Police Mountain Bike Certified. Maryland Police Training Commission Basic Instructor Certified. CALEA Certified Field Training Officer (FTO), Advanced Criminal Investigator School, Advanced Crash Investigator School, National Academies of Emergency Dispatch Certified Emergency Police Dispatch, Emergency Medical Dispatch, Emergency Telecommunications Operator.

Police Officer of the Year, Prince Georges County Municipal Police Chiefs Association (1995).
City of District Heights Police Officer of the Year, 1995.
Distinguished Service Cross for Valor, 1995 (National Association Chiefs of Police).