Careers: Police/Have a few issues.

Hi, I have a few questions and issues. I have wanted to be a state trooper for some time now but I have been addicted to pills and fat and out of shape and a smoker. Well I've decide to change my life around and get in shape I quit using the drugs and smoking and got fit but I'm really nervous about the whole thing. I was wondering how long I should be clean before I apply. I wanted to on my 21st birthday which would put me at a year sober. I didn't use every single day I did about once a week of every few weeks. Also a few months back I was at a party and experimented with " white china" (heroin) I wasn't fully aware what it was but I know now and I haven't and won't ever do it again it was a mistake and it was only twice. I've never been in any trouble in my life I graduated with good grades and I have a friend who is a state trooper who said I can use him as a reference would that help me any? I want to get my life started and I've done all the right changes and going in the right direction, just very scared I'm not going to get accepted in to it because of my past mistakes. Just curious if I should wait longer or if a year of being sober and giving it my all with gods help and being truthful and straight if I should be okay, thanks from Ohio.

There is no way that I can give you a "yes" or "no" answer since I am not making the decision and because every police agency has its own rules and hiring standards.

Having said that let me ask you something. You have a hiring pool if 1000 applicants. There are fifty open trooper positions to full. Most have an exemplary record, have never used drugs, are in excellent shape and some played sports in high school.

In the other hand you have a few applicants who are out of shape, have been addicted to prescription medicine, used heroin, and done other self-destructive things.

If you were the one making the who would you eliminate right away for a position where you are the representative of the state in law enforcement ?

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.