Careers: Police/Questions

Hi I'm 18 years old and went to my local precient and spoke with an officer and applied for crossing guard position. Why do I have to go to the police academy for two weeks or so and crossing guards aren't police officers? Another question is after I retire from the military I wanted to be a mounty cop and I was always told it was hard to get into to. I met the police commisoner before at a regination dinner/ceremony so if I can get a written letter of some sort from him and other officers would it be possible to get in that unit. They always say you gotta know someone because its a small unit.

Let me get this straight.  You talked with an officer and yet you didn't ask him why you had to attend the police academy for two weeks?  Yet you ask a total stranger who doesn't know what state you are in, etc?  I am guessing that you need to learn how to direct traffic in a proper way.  Could you go out into the middle of a busy intersection tomorrow and direct traffic?  I doubt it.

Second question.  You are planning to go into the military at some point (you didn't say when) and then when you retire in twenty years you hope to be a mounted officer?  In twenty years you will probably change your mind but in case you don't a letter from someone that you meant casually is hardly going to do you any good in twenty years.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.