Careers: Police/Background Check

Hi Dick,

I'm applying to become a Correctional Officer in the state I reside in. I want to do a background check on myself before the Background Investigator does one. Could you recommend a trustworthy website/software I could use to do a Criminal background check on myself.

Thanks for your time.
Robert L.

I am not "Dick" but I can probably help you.  

A background check takes months to do.  Every important person in your life would probably be interviewed including former employers, co-workers, teachers, parents, friends, and the like.  They would also do a credit check on you, of course a check on your criminal and traffic record (if any), and a search would be done to see if you have come in contact with law enforcement and what were the circumstances.  

So you cannot possibly do a credit check on yourself.  You can do a credit check and a criminal record check.  The credit check is free and there are three companies online that will do it for free.  A criminal and traffic record check probably can be done at a police station for a fee.

Having said all of this you already know what the criminal, traffic, and credit reports are going to say so why bother?

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.