Careers: Police/Becoming A Cop

Hello,i am 16 years old and my dream is to become a cop. My question is: I have a medical condition,nothing to big but im physically slower than other people,i got told if i passsed the fitness test i'd be okay and im willing to start training at this age so when i grow up i wont have any problems with the fitness test,so will this stop me from becoming a cop?

So you don't waste your time you probably should ask your doctor if whatever your medical condition is would disqualify you for police work.

In the meantime it's probably better to concentrate on your school work than worry about the police department.  You still have at least five years to go before you can even think of applying and another five or six years of schooling.  

I can't answer your last question because I am not the chief of whatever department you are striving for, I don't know what the hiring standards and physical qualifications are, and I don't know what affliction that you suffer from.

Let me give you some advice.  Don't believe anything that you hear from other people.  It's most likely wrong.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.