Careers: Police/Hello

Question
Hello. My name is Ryan. I'm very interested in becoming a police officer. I have a few fears though. For starters I have an other than honorable discharge from the Army. I also did experiment with drugs when I was younger. Lastly, I have a lot of tattoos. All of my right arm is covered and the majority of my left arm is as well. I have applied for the police academy but have not recieved an answer yet. So, I'm just curious if it's even possible for me to become a police officer. Thanks

Answer
Hi Ryan!

The OTH is going to be your biggest issue.   Some will depend on what it was for, but either way its going to cause you major problems.   You might try and see if you can get it upgraded, if that is possible.   If not, I'd say  your chances were not the greatest.   The tats may or may not be an issue, some agencies don't allow ANY below the short sleeve shirt line, others don't care as long as they aren't 'offensive' or racist.    The drug use, as long as it isn't 'hard' drugs most of the time isn't an issue either, unless you smoked pot like every day for years.   

I do wish you the best of luck!  

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill