Careers: Police/law enforcement employment

Question
hello I'm asking this question for my husband. his father was a corrections officer In the county we reside in and now a long time family friend is trying to help him get a job In  the jail that his dad worked in but he's worries his past may disqualify him from being accepted he has had a mild drug past he used to recreationally smoke marijuana and as a teen experimented with other drugs he's now turning 30 and has been completely clean for over a year we also have a bankrupsy on our record and a few traffic tickets in his past ad one recently that involved being 2 shotgun shells over the limit on a refuge but it was a total mistake and the 2 shells weren't even fit in the firearm he was hunting with .hes worried about dis taco his family name and doesn't want to go any further but I know he would be a wonderful c.o. however I understand his feelings about not wanting to do the background test he has no serious criminal record no drug convictions at all never even been arrested what do you think? should he even try or should he walk away and save his family name from embarrassment ??? thanks so much for your time

Answer
I think had he not continued to use well into adulthood, he'd have a decent shot.  But he's 30 and can't say that it was just 'experimentation' at that age.   Thats very likely going to DQ him.   Plus there is the very real chance that if hired, he could be compromised by someone inside that he either bought from, or used with, since its so close to the recent past.  

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill