Careers: Police/Moral Inadequacy

QUESTION: I've wanted to be a police officer since I was a child, and I'm two semesters away from my associates degree. I plan on joining the police academy, and I've even been working on my fitness. But I have a habit of driving 5 miles over the speed limit. I've never been in any sort of trouble and only received two (minor) tickets in my 10 years of driving. While it's a habit that I am ashamed of and WILL break, is it something that will get me turned down by a department? All they have to do is ask of course, and I would be honest. I just worry. Thank you for your time!

ANSWER: Ashley,

If I may ask, why are worried about going five mph over the speed limit and how do you figure that some police department
is going to find out (or even care) about this?

QUESTION: In follow up to 5 mph: Why am I worried that they'll 'find out' and 'care'? I suppose I'm just over worrying? They would find out by ASKING me, because I couldn't not be honest. And why would they care? Why WOULDNT they? I don't think they would want a police officer that breaks the law. I just wanted to know if I'm over worrying or not, that's all.

You seem to be overly anxious about something that does not mean squat.  They aren't going to ask you if you have driven five mph over the speed limit.  It won't be a factor.

Don't take this the wrong way but IF you have OCD tendencies that is a bigger matter than going 5 miles over.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.