Careers: Police/Need Some Help/Advice

Last year I joined the Marine Corps prior to leaving it seem that everything turned against me. My mother got sick which required surgery, my father lost his job, and my brother got a chronic illness. Once I left to bootcamp I felt that I abandoned my family and that I should have never left in a bad time and once I got to MCRD i became seriously ill and had high fevers which caused me to have weird dreams of me dying or what not. So I decided to ask for help long story short i got discharged under uncharacterized ELS re-3f code with failure to adapt with depressed mood. Since then i havent had any form of depression and i go to school full time and work. What happened in the military does not describe me as a person and now i'm in the process of making a career with the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department how bad will this affect me once I disclose it during my interview and background.

As I have told the last 900 people who have asked me if a certain incident in their lives will affect their chances of of being hired by law enforcement;  There is no way for me to know your complete background nor the hiring standards and rules of individual departments.  I can tell you that your military issues and the condition of your discharge certainly will not help you.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.