Careers: Police/Background Investigation for Police Applicants

Hello, I am a criminal justice major in michigan and will therefore be looking for police jobs in the state. My question is regarding the background investigation. I have had a mild form of anxiety for the past 4 years. My doctor has me on medication and it has not been a problem for me since. I can function completely normal and even did so as an over the road truck driver for 2 years before going back to school. Could this be a problem upon applying as an officer? Are medical records searched during the BI? And no, I would most certainly not try to hide it on my application, I just wondered what thoughts were regarding my question? Thank you for your time.

This type of question is nearly impossible to answer since every police department acts independently of each other and each has its
own rules and hiring standards. Having said this they won't go out looking for your medical records because they wouldn't know where to look.

On the initial application or soon afterwards you will be asked if you have ever been treated for a mental illness and of course you will have to answer truthfully. it the polygraph will get you.

You probably should think about getting a letter from your doctor attesting to your ability to perform the duties of a police officer.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.