Careers: Police/Background check for civilian job at the police

Question
Hi Jack.

First thank you for answering this question.

I have a question and hope you can answer sooner than later.

My boyfriend is going through a police check for an IT position. They asked him to fill the personal history form. Since we are common law, he has to include all my siblings and their spouses (birthdates, business phones etc) ...now my question is this:
Some of my brothers have criminal records. Some have a long history of criminal records...violence and drug related nothing international or security related.
I have a big family too so just one or two bad apples.

My boyfriend has a clear history of anything. Same for his family too.

How much weight will be given to my side of the family in the recruitment process. I am nervous that my brothers' bad decisions may impact on my b/f. He had an interview already and pass that process.

Answer

As I tell everyone there are no "yes" or "no" answers to this kind of question.  The reason is because there are thousands of police departments and all have their own hiring standards.

Having said that there is a pretty good chance that your brothers records won't help his chances.  Any negative information doesn't help as you can imagine.  On the other hand it might not hurt him at all depending on the background investigators opinion.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey