Careers: Police/Background investigation

Question
QUESTION: I'm currently considering a career in law enforcement and I'd like to know your opinion regarding negatives I could have in my background.

1. I have used marijuana in my life. Although there's no pattern of constant use, I'd say the average would be once every month or two. I've stopped that for three years.

2. Work history: I've had four jobs plus the one I have irght now. The first job I've had I quit without giving notice, thinking it was a big company and they wouldn't care, the second I was fired from for atittude and not being fast enough(McDonald's), third I left without notice and fourth I was fired for not being a good enough salesman. Right now I have a job that I intend to keep for long and in which my boss likes me very much.

3. Neighbors: although I've never been in a fight and have always kept good relations with my neighbors, I was often involved in loud arguments with my family and it happened once or twice that my neighbor came up and asked us to quiet it down(apartment building)

Thanks for answering me, I really appreciate it.

ANSWER: Steven,

Even though you and I are in different countries I am pretty sure that Canadian police departments use the same guidelines as we do.

Your marijuana use should not be a problem  Most departments consider experimental use a non issue.

Your job history won't help you but I'd be surprised if it was a disqualifier.

The deal with the neighbors is nothing to worry about.

I hope that this helps.

QUESTION: I think I understated my drug use. I've used marijuana about twenty times over a period of 3 to 4 years. Would that be considered a trouble?

Answer
Steven,

I can only give you the view that my department would take.  Keep in mind that there are thousands of police departments in North America.  Each department has its own hiring standards.  What I say about MY department would have no bearing with some department in Canada.

On my department a person with your history might not be automatically disqualified but it would surely not help his chances.

That is the best I can do for you.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey