Careers: Police/confused background

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

It has been a dream of mine to be a cop, but I have made a bad decision in my past that I'm wondering will prevent me from becoming a police officer.

About 3-4 years ago I stole an iMac from my employer not thinking about the reprocussions. I later realized what I had done and regretted my actions. I returned the iMac to my place of employment without the employer knowing and to this day no one at that company knows. Later, I voluntarily quit from my job because I was falsely accused of turning off security cameras at the call center while I was rebooting the power on the call center floor which was a common occurrence for team leaders such as myself. I was never caught or officially charged of anything, but am wondering if this will prevent me from being hired in Idaho when going through my background packet.

I currently work have worked a security position for 3 years and now have worked part time at a local police department for 1 year, but need to complete the full background package for this new agency in idaho. Do these help my case? Since that event, I haven't done anything else and hope that I can still be a police officer?

ANSWER: Jessie.

It's impossible to give you a "yes" or "no" answer because there are thousands of police departments and each has its own rules and hiring standards.

I am pretty sure that the time will come when you will be asked if you have ever committed a crime where you were not detected.  If you lie and say "no" it will trip you up on the polygraph.

The best that I can do is to tell you that your stealing incident certainly won't help your chances.

QUESTION: I've read many articles that say' "you lie you die" and I whole heartedly believe that. My plan was transparency throughout the whole process and to let them know that's not who I am. What I'm wondering is, with complete transparency, will I even have a fighting chance of passing my background?

Answer
Ok let me explain this again.  If you were applying for the FBI or the army where there are set rules I could better answer your question.  But you aren't.  You are applying for one agency and the key will be what is revealed in your background investigation.  Maybe they will think that your stealing is a huge red flag and disqualify you.  On the other hand maybe they won't think its a big deal.  I have no way of knowing.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey