Careers: Police/Employment

First, thank you for your time. I am a 29 yr old looking to get into the law enforcement profession. But I'd like to be realistic in my reach so I wanted to get a professional opinion on the likelyhood of being hired. Passing the aptitude test and physical agility isn't an issue, it would be my background. I have a dui from 8 years ago, noninjury misdemeanor, I have a bankruptcy from last year, and about 3 unpaid traffic tickets, I've also had a few tickets suspend my license from FTA's. I also have a misdemeanor public consumption from 3 years ago. I'm aware these are giant hurdles. My question concerns mending these issues. If all tickets are paid off, what is the likely hood of being a hirable candidate in the 1-2 year future? Will I need more time away from my flawed past? All other preemployment requirements are not an issue, such as drug use and such. I also have an exemplary work history. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Before I answer anything you need to know that this is just a general answer and may or may not apply to your situation because there are thousands of police agencies and each has its own hiring standards and rules.

The credit issue, bankruptcy, and unpaid traffic tickets are going to be very difficult to circumvent. They all are big red flags that show immaturity and contempt for the legal system. The system that you are supposedly interested in defending. The license suspension is another indicator that you've not given a damn about traffic laws and the individuals responsibility in attending court.

Think about it. If any given department has 1000 applicants for a class of fifty you can imagine which candidates are going to be eliminated right away. The candidates with college degrees without a sniff of a crime or traffic violation are going to be the ones you are going to be competing with.  

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.