Careers: Police/History of suicide

When I was a juvenile I was committed to a mental hospital 3 times for attempted suicide and was sent to two treatment centers. It has now been 6 years and i have my life on track. I earned my eagle scout, I am not on any medications, and I hold a steady job as a security guard. Will this history affect my application to a general police department? Can they even see it on a background check? Should I even mention it?

There is no "yes" or "no" answer to your question because every police department has its own rules and hiring standards.  

A police agency may not be able to delve into your medical records but most likely they will ask you something like, "have you ever been treated for a mental illness" or "have you ever been a patient" in a mental hospital".  Of course you would have to answer "yes' because if you don't you will be lying and the polygraph will eventually get you.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.