Careers: Police/Recruitment

Hello! My brother is currently a student at a college for police foundations. This year is his "co-op" year, so there was a police department looking for some students to take their co-op program. Luckily, my brother got accepted, and he has been doing it for about 2-3 months now. However, one day a lady saw him and his group members sitting in the car, then she left to get some groceries and came back to see they were still in the car. So this lady went up to them and asked them what they were doing. They told her that they are doing co-op. A day later, the manager of the co-op program called my brothers group in for a meeting and told them the lady turned out to be his boss' boss, and that it's not good to sit in the car for long periods of time. Then the manager of the co-op let them go. About a week or so later, the manager called in my brother for a meeting (just him, not the whole group) and told him that since he is the leader of the group, he's fired, and that its his responsibily to guide the group. So I was wondering, if this is gonna affect my brothers chances of being recruited. Please answer! We really want to know.

Hello MD,
I can't really give you the response you seek.
But I'll wager your brother can.

It is not unusual for police training initiatives to advance stunts, challenges, ''feild problems' and other 'role-playing' opportunities in on cadets.
The cadets are always being tested, always being evaluated, and always being assessed....
Not all of these stunts are "gotcha" oriented, and some have no true/false response in absolute terms.
Evaluations are or tend to be perceptional.
If your brother was confused, or unsure of what the expectations were, the time to pose that inquiry is at the time of breifing or orientation, NOT at a time you get burned.
Even cadet-leadership has it's challenges.
Along with tests for KSA's (knowledge-Skills-Abilities), it is mostly about CHARACTER.
Potential is one thing, character is quite another.

Rather than appeal.
I'm not so sure I wouldn't report to the decision making authority, and proclaim a position that those in his charge should be considered for a second chance, as his failure in a supervisory role is more his fault, than theirs.

Taking responsibility, maturity, and character is a learning process.

These are just off the top thoughts.
"Falling" on one's sword isn't likely going to change much for your brother, but it might be helpful to those he should of looked out for....and essentially, didn't.

Good Luck,
Semper Fi,

Careers: Police

Loren Stevens

Retired after 31 years in a large metropolitan PD. Areas of expertise: COVERT OPERATIONS. Management, Administration, Inspections, U/C development, Project design, Ethics, and other related sub topics in COVERT OPERATIONS.

Past/Present clients