Careers: Police/soliciting a prostitute

Hi Mr. Tommey
My questions in concern with soliciting a prostitute. I solicited one when I was younger 18 and at 21 in the U.S and a few times out of country the most recent one being three years ago. I have an application being processed with a state and federal agency now. I plan to mention this issue either way because I want to be as honest as possible and admit my mistakes. Now will this disqualify me?

As I have told countless others I have no way of knowing if a certain incident will disqualify you from employment.  That is because each agency, police department, and others have their own hiring standards and rules.  So we are talking about thousands of agencies each with their own rules.

When you say "solicited a prostitute" do you mean that you were arrested for soliciting a prostitute?  

There will probably be a question on the application or during an early interview that would cover this situation.  If you lie and say "no" the polygraph will eventually get you.

So the best that I can do for you is to say that it won't help you but then again it may not hurt you.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.