Careers: Police/Worried

Question
Hi jack, thank you for taking time to read this, I am 21 years old and I will be in a couple years starting to apply to work for a police department. The one thing I am worried about is that early in high school when I was 16, a girl and I exchanged one dirty picture and that was it, at the time I had no idea it was illegal and if I knew I wouldn't have done it. .  We were the only ones who knew about it and my record is totally clean.  In the application process I am going to be totally honest and I just wanted to know your thoughts on how this could affect me?  Thank you

Answer
Boone,

I have no way of knowing what any individual police department is going to be doing two years from now as far as hiring.  The reason is that each department makes its own rules and has its own standards.

The best that could happen is that they wouldn't even ask about something like this.  The worst of course is that there could be a "morals" type question that would require a "yes" and then an explanation.

The best that I can do for you is to say that your actions at 16 certainly won't help you but then again it probably won't hurt you.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey