Careers: Police/Background Investigation- License Suspension

"I am currently going through the background investigation for the police department in Mitchell, SD and I have a question about past license suspensions. I know that most suspensions are disqualifiers, but my case is different. I am originally from SC and moved to SD with a vehicle registered in SC. I wrecked the truck and te next day I canceled my insurance and bought a new car and new insurance here in Mitchell. About a month later I went to get an SD license and my current SC license was suspended under the reason of my not having insurance. It turned out that the SC DMV did not know that I had a new car with insurance in SD. I had my insurance agency send a letter to SC claiming a cancellation of insurance and then a new reinstatement of insurance in SD and the suspension was lifted. I had insurance the entire time but there was a breakdown in communication between the two states. Is this still cause for disqualification?"

You do understand that there are thousands of police departments and each has its own rules and qualifications.  I have never heard of any hard and fast rule about license suspension disqualifications.

I am sure that your reasonable explanation will clear that part up.  I'd be very careful about how you fill out an questionare.  Make sure they know that it was a screw up and not your fault.  If possible type up an affidavit, get it sworn to in front of a notary, and keep a file of any records that you have.

How did you end up in Mitchell?  My best friend in the Navy family has a farm outside of town and the way he described it was like in the middle of nowhere.

DON'T tell them that you are using their department as a stepping stone!!!

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.