Careers: Police/Security Guard

Question
Hi Robert,

I am 17 almost 18 and I was curious about this security guard registration card I am hearing in order to be "licensed" to be a guard. Here is the thing, I have a Certification of Certified Protection Officer certificate which is a step above a security guard. I have asked people  this question and this is what a lot of comments back say, "Since you already have classroom activity and a certificate saying you completed an advanced course, You could show that to the employer and they'll will most likely hire you in as entry leveled." So my question to you is do you think the state would give me a guard card if I show them this (CPO) certificate in the next couple months?
Thanks, Andy.

Answer
Andy,
I only know the  security guard rules/laws for New York State.  In NYS you must have state license issued by the Secretary of State's Office. There is no substitute that I know of.  If you live in another state you can check the Internet. Look for government regulations for a security guard license. Of course, put in your state where you reside.  You also maybe able to call your State Police Office to see if they can guide you to the appropriate office.  Some states may not require any license.  Best of luck.
Bob T.

Careers: Police

Robert Tapogna