Careers: Police/hiring combat vet with OTH

Question
Mr.Toomey,
I am aware this question has been asked many times, but I think I might have a different kind of case. I am a former Marine, combat veteran with an award for excellence on patrol that can be documented. What can also be documented is that I was separated with 6 months to go on my enlistment for failing a urine test for Marijuana. After leaving the Corps I went to school, paid for it myself while working and also played lacrosse for my school in the NCAA division III and was inducted into the athletic honor society. I now have a 4 year degree and a 3.5 GPA. I am aware that college does not mean anything to LE but I am trying to show that I am still a good candidate. DO you think my combat experience and good grades and sports participation would make me a good candidate, even with the failed piss test? I was separated for my actions 5 years ago and have not used drugs and been a good citizen since.

Answer
Ben,

Personally I think that you would be an excellent candidate for a position in law enforcement. Having said that I am not the one making the decision.

Nearly all departments now overlook recreational use of marijuana because it is so prevelant. Recreational use is usually defined as less than 20 (or so) times. Then there are departments that overlook it as long as the use was more than X number of years before.

To sum up I doubt if the marijuana use will be a problem. The thing I'd be worried about is the nature of the discharge. Make sure that whatever department is aware of the whole story.

Good luck!

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey