Careers: Police/I have a criminal history but really want to become a LEO

I come from a long line of "crooks" so to speak. My dad is in prison for violent charges and my mom currently has a warrant for her arrest. I grew up in and out of foster care and the juvi system with a horribly violent juvenile record. I have numerous tickets and have been arrested for dwls, my licence has currently been revoked for 5 years.  I also have charges for when I was 19 or 20 for theft and grand theft that has withheld ajudication. I know I sound like a doomed utter failure. But when Libe gives you lemons make lemonade. I figured you can make it or break it and I don't want to give up. Should I wait and let time lapse to show that my past is behind me (obviously I'll be waiting at least 5 years) or should I throw in the towel. I have no adult felonies or violent misdemeanors. No purgery or false report charges. But i don't want to get my hopes up if there is no chance at all. I'm currently trying to at least build a resume by working at a prison until I can  get my license straightened out. One baby step at a time. Please tell me there's hope.

Usually when people who have a checkered past ask me about applying for a job in police work I try to give them some encouragement.  In your case I would be lying by giving you a spiel about having a chance to be hired.  

I'm sorry to tell you this but I'd look for another line of work.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.