Careers: Police/BI

Question
Mr. Toomey,

First and foremost I would like to thank you in advance for your service.
I'm 22 going on 23, currently indecisive whether or not to apply. I have a few questions that I often think about and make me take two steps back. With than being said, I wanted to ask if drug use is an instant disqualification ? During my senior year in High School I tried marijuana 3-4 times, and about three years ago I tried half a pill of ecstasy. Is there any way I can still be hired by a LE agency or should I reconsider applying?

Thank you,
Hansel

Answer
Hansel,

Law enforcement is not like the Army where there is one standard and one set of rules.  There are thousands of police agencies and each has its own set of standards.  What might be true on Department A might not be true on Department B.

Having said that your drug use does not appear to be extensive so don't let it hold you back from applying.  Remember to be truthful in all matters and to not sugarcoat anything because in the end the polygraph will get you.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey