Careers: Police/Department application ask about friends using drugs.

Question
QUESTION: The department I'm applying at ask if I have any close friends that use drugs and if so, how many friends, and what types of drugs?

I've never used drugs in my life nor have any plan to. So, the question here is, why is this pertinent to my application?

ANSWER: To determine if you are being truthful. A "no" would brand you as a liar.  You obviously do have that kind of friend or you wouldn't be asking the question. Remember this. They may know more about you than you think.

QUESTION: Yes, I have close friends who do use drugs, and I'm not going to lie about it. I'm just wondering why this question matters?
Thanks for the reply.

Answer
I am wondering if you read my first answer?  

I didn't say this the first time but a person who has drug abusers for friends is not a good choice for the position of police officer.

So potentially they have you two ways. If you are truthful the could disqualify you because you would be unfit for duty. If you lie then will get you on the polygraph.

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey