Careers: Writing/question / writing

Question
Dear maam Cathy,

Good day! I have a few questions here about writing. I hope you can help in finding the answers. I know that you are busy and so a brief answer will do. I hope you can spare a part of your time in answering my questions.

1) what is the proper margin if I write an article? I mean, the distance on both sides - the left side of the paper and the right side as well. Also, concerning the space between the sentences from top down...is it 1 space or 2 space?

ex.   the boy is good in singing songs.
     The boy is good in singing songs.

2) Do you know of any websites that can help me learn more about writing?

3) Do you have any ebook you can to share with me about writing or creative writing?

I am a simple person from Philippines, and I really want to know on how to write well..am not an english native speaker - and so I welcome any information about writing.

4) I read every now and then a phrase that says "there is money in writing"...well, I feel that it is hard to get money through writing..do you have any idea on how to earn by writing?

Thanks for reading. I hope you will write back. God bless!

Answer
Hi, Ram!

Lots of questions! Great! Let's get started:

ex.   the boy is good in singing songs.
    The boy is good in singing songs.

Articles should have margins of 1" (U.S. measurement) or 3 mm (European measurement) at the top/head, bottom/foot, and sides/fore-edges.

Absolutely! In fact, the website is called AbsoluteWrite. The website and the forums there are one of the best sites on the web for learning about writing. You can find it here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums

No matter what you write, you'll find similarly-minded people. It welcomes international visitors--even if you prefer to write in your native language. I'm one of the moderators there, so I spend a lot of time there. :)  There are lots of other places on the web, but they're sort of genre specific. What do you write?

Again, there are lots of those too. What do you want to write?

No problem! Translation will fix about anything. You can certainly write in your own language and have the publisher translate it.

There is money in writing, depending on what you write. For example, you could write articles about the Philippines for English magazines. They could be about traveling there, or festivals/events you know of, the people, the language, the food. There's a bunch about the country that people in other parts of the world don't know. Become the expert that people want to read! :)

Good luck, and do try AbsoluteWrite. In fact, visit the Filipino thread of the International District there and meet some other people from where you are:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202082

Good luck, and hope to see you around the boards!

Cathy

Careers: Writing

Cathy Clamp