Carnivorous Plants/Cephalotus

Hello there, i had a question regarding a cephalotus i ordered from you guys just recently. I am growing the little guy next to my nepenthes in a west facing window seal. The question i have is about adding my shop light fixture over the window like i did last winter since the daylight hours are getting shorter. The concern i had is that putting the light fixture up might disturbe the little cephalotus dormancy. The window still gets pretty cool even with the light during the coldest part of the winter so i dont think it would be a problem but i just wanted to make sure and get an experts opinion. Thank you very much..

Cephalotus doesn't need a full dormancy like temperate plants.  Instead, they experience more of a winter rest in which they slow down in growth.  A drop in daylight hours is usually enough for this.  If your plant is next to a window, the changes in daylight hours is often enough to trigger this.  Ambient light doesn't affect it much because the light intensity is much lower when the sun isn't out.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!