Carnivorous Plants/Cephalotus

Question
Hello there, i had a question regarding a cephalotus i ordered from you guys just recently. I am growing the little guy next to my nepenthes in a west facing window seal. The question i have is about adding my shop light fixture over the window like i did last winter since the daylight hours are getting shorter. The concern i had is that putting the light fixture up might disturbe the little cephalotus dormancy. The window still gets pretty cool even with the light during the coldest part of the winter so i dont think it would be a problem but i just wanted to make sure and get an experts opinion. Thank you very much..

Answer
Cephalotus doesn't need a full dormancy like temperate plants.  Instead, they experience more of a winter rest in which they slow down in growth.  A drop in daylight hours is usually enough for this.  If your plant is next to a window, the changes in daylight hours is often enough to trigger this.  Ambient light doesn't affect it much because the light intensity is much lower when the sun isn't out.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest